Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

AppMakr makes annoying branded iPhone apps even easier to create

Filed under: , , ,

Before I get started here, I have to say that I don't blame PointAbout one bit for coming up with AppMakr. All kinds of sites are launching branded iPhone apps to deliver their web content - our esteemed sister sites, TUAW and Engadget, both have neat little apps you can download - and at $199 or $499 for an easy way to make an app out of your site's RSS feed, AppMakr is probably looking at a tidy little profit.

I'm also not saying that AppMakr doesn't work. The demo video (check it out after the jump) shows off a quick and easy-to-use creation process, and the price is less than what you'd pay a dedicated developer to make you an app from scratch. AppMakr also helps you navigate the sometimes-dicey App Store approval process, and will even publish your app through its own Apple Developer account, which is all worth a bit of money in itself.

Here's my beef, though: an iPhone app based around an RSS feed of your web content is just annoying. Why would I want to download that, even for free, when I can just add your site to Google Reader along with my other favorites and view it in a great RSS app like Reeder? How obsessed with a site do you need to be before you'll clutter up your home screen with its logo? So, no offense to AppMakr, I just don't see the appeal of the trend it's riding.

[via Mashable]

Continue reading AppMakr makes annoying branded iPhone apps even easier to create

AppMakr makes annoying branded iPhone apps even easier to create originally appeared on Download Squad on Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:04:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment