Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ask DLS: Is Microsoft's FixIt gadget useful or not?

Filed under: , , , , ,

I'd like to think Microsoft's new FixIt gadget is a good idea, but I'm just not sure yet. Here's why I'm having trouble reaching a decision one way or the other.

First, it's difficult for me to imagine a home user wanting this on their sidebar. If you're having so many problems with Vista that you need FixIt always at the ready, you'd probably just dump it and roll back to XP anyway.

Also, FixIt solutions are pretty easy to find on the website. That's probably a more logical way to fix things once in a while than taking up space and resources (albeit limited) with another gadget on the sidebar.

What about In a work environment? Sure, it'd be nice if this helped prevent a few support phone calls, but does that ever happen? All of my users are still going to call and do their best to get me to fix the issue for them.

I guess I'd at least have instant access to a few common repairs, but the problems I'm fixing usually aren't issues FixIt can assist with. Also, none of my machines are Vista - they're all XP Pro, so I can't install a gadget anyway.

So when would the gadget be useful? I honestly don't know. Maybe you guys can clear that up for me in the comments!

Ask DLS: Is Microsoft's FixIt gadget useful or not? originally appeared on Download Squad on Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment