Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Want a Windows XP style start menu and Explorer in Windows 7? Try Classic Shell

Filed under: , , ,

I'm not sure when the last time was that I needed to dig through my start menu. Between the Windows 7 Super Bar and the search box Vista added, there are just easier ways for me to find and launch programs.

Still, for some of my customers, friends, and family, the newer menus are just a distraction. They were fine with Windows XP's interface, and they might not want to be bothered learning something different -- no matter how many times I try to convince them it's an improvement.

If you're like me and will be getting phone calls and IMs from people asking you how to get their old menu back, do yourself a favor: download Classic Shell.

It's compatible with both 32 and 64-bit Windows 7, and it's just the thing to turn back the clock on the Windows menu. Apart from that, it also includes an optional classic Explorer toolbar which can put back the missing cut/copy/paste buttons and the file/edit/view/tools menu bar.

While it's still tagged as a beta release, Classic Shell worked nicely on both my 64-bit Windows 7 laptops and my son's 32-bit version.

[via How-To Geek]

Want a Windows XP style start menu and Explorer in Windows 7? Try Classic Shell originally appeared on Download Squad on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:06:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment