Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

5 computing resolutions to make for the new year!

Filed under: , ,

The new year is here, and it's time to make some resolutions! I've got plenty of habits that need some reworking, so here's what I've resolved to do in 2010:
  1. Back up my important files regularly. I've always sucked at doing this, and it's time to change that. With so many good online options (like Mozy, Backblaze, and Carbonite) and external hard drives being so cheap, there's really no excuse for operating without a good set up backups.
  2. Keep my operating system, applications, and plugins updated. I'm good with keeping my OS up to date - Windows does that for me. Antivirus programs? They take care of themselves, too.

    Other applications are another story - if a program doesn't auto-update like (Firefox, Google Chrome, or uTorrent, for example) I often forget to check to see if there are newer versions available.

    I'm also guilty of clicking away alerts from plugins like Java and Adobe Flash player, and that has to stop. Installing their updates is a big part of keeping a system secure, and it takes very little time.

    A program like the File Hippo Update Checker or Update Notifier can be a big help.

Continue reading 5 computing resolutions to make for the new year!

5 computing resolutions to make for the new year! originally appeared on Download Squad on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:34:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment