Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hey, Norton: why does Security Scan behave so much like the malware I remove?

Filed under: , ,

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Symantec by any stretch. In fact, I rather like Norton Antivirus 2010 -- it's their second really solid effort in a row after a string of releases I was less than enthusiastic about. What I don't like, however, is their free Security Scan.

Why? Because it behaves very much like the fake alert malware which causes my customers so much grief.

For starters, it piggybacks on the installers for other programs. Sure, it's usually opt-out, but since it's also checked off for installation by default it usually ends up coming along for the ride. If this really is worth installing, leaving the checkbox blank and let customers opt-in instead (as Chrome does during the Avast! installer).

Once it goes to "work," Security Scan tells me my son's system doesn't have a security product installed. That's untrue, of course, and the same thing fake alert programs do. NSS might not recognize Immunet Antivirus, but it's been doing a great job protecting the laptop from threats.

Continue reading Hey, Norton: why does Security Scan behave so much like the malware I remove?

Hey, Norton: why does Security Scan behave so much like the malware I remove? originally appeared on Download Squad on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:12:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment