Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ask DLS: Does Google Chrome Frame tactic smell funny to anyone else?

Filed under: , ,

Ok, I know all the cool kids like to take shots at Internet Explorer. Heck, I'll admit it -- I've done it myself. And yes, I do prefer using Google Chrome.

But there's something I just don't like about the way Google plans to get Chrome Frame onto users' systems. Group Product Manager Mike Smith and Software Engineer Alex Russell told TechCrunch that Google "won't be explicitly advertising it." Instead, they'll use "subtle methods to alert users to its existence."

Now, the mockup above is anything but subtle. I'd assume - based on what Google has done in the past on the search page - that users will probably see a small alert in the upper-right corner.

Here's my question - why not just push Chrome? Why push an option that bolts Chrome on to Internet Explorer? TC's MG Siegler says the plugin itself is about 500Kb, but adds that it downloads about 10Mb of additional "Chrome-related data to work correctly."

Continue reading Ask DLS: Does Google Chrome Frame tactic smell funny to anyone else?

Ask DLS: Does Google Chrome Frame tactic smell funny to anyone else? originally appeared on Download Squad on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment