Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

DLS Review: Why is Komodo Edit the best free PHP editor on the market today

Filed under: , , ,

Komodo Edit

I have strong feelings about text editors for programmers. I'm not talking about Vim or Emacs here; I'm talking about stuff for mere mortals -- PSPad, jEdit, Notepad++. Those are all editors I have used extensively over the years, and each time I become convinced that "this is it -- this is the last text editor I will ever need," only to then find out it wasn't quite as great as I thought.

With jEdit, it was the lack of support and horrible forum system; with PSPad, the closed source and disorderly add-on system; Notepad++ was a long time ago, and I honestly can't remember what its main issue was. However, it's also true that my requirements change over time; for example, these days I code far more PHP than I used to.

When my current wave of PHP coding began, I spent some time evaluating different editors and IDEs. After running through the text editors I already knew, I started looking at IDEs. I checked Aptana; it actually seemed cool, but they ditched their own PHP extensions for Eclipse's PDT, which is really underdeveloped. I looked into Eclipse itself, too, and was horrified by its clunkiness.

I remember checking some other options, until I finally came across Komodo Edit. After spending a fair bit of time evaluating it, using ActiveState's forum system, installing add-ons and tweaking it, I can honestly say I feel it's the best free PHP editor available today. To see why (with lots of screenshots), continue reading after the fold.

Continue reading DLS Review: Why is Komodo Edit the best free PHP editor on the market today

DLS Review: Why is Komodo Edit the best free PHP editor on the market today originally appeared on Download Squad on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:06:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment