Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Loki is a minimalistic open-source WYSIWYG textarea editor

Filed under: , , ,

Loki

Loki is a Rich Text editor for the Web. The current leader in this arena is clearly FCKEditor (which is now called CKEditor), so why does the world need another WYSIWIG editor for HTML textareas?

The first thing that caught my eye was... the very first feature on the feature list. That wasn't because it was first either, honestly! It says:

  • Hitting Return produces a new paragraph. Mozilla browsers like to interpret the Enter key as a line break. This is rarely semantically correct, but most editors use this method.

That is so true! The current FCKEditor installation that I use insists on using BR tags whenever I hit Enter to start a new paragraph, and I find that simply offensive. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but if a Web developer who was working with me consistently used BR's instead of para breaks, it would be positive proof that they don't understand basic HTML code. So, why should my text editor do that?

It's got a whole bunch of other cool features, including integrating with an RSS feed to provide point-and-click linking to previous posts (for blogs). However, it also prides itself on providing "no frivolous features," such as smileys, arbitrary font selection and text color selection. It may sound a bit sparse, but it's to the point.

To be honest, I don't know what the new CKEditor is like; I'm still stuck with the older FCKEditor. Loki seems like a very viable replacement, though. It's one that I would be happy to take for a spin, at least.

Loki is a minimalistic open-source WYSIWYG textarea editor originally appeared on Download Squad on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment