Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dropbox Shell Tools lets you copy files quickly to your Dropbox

Filed under: , ,

dropboxshelltools

Let me start off by saying I am not a huge fan of the Windows file context menu. On my system it contains twenty eight separate entries, just on the main menu (not counting sub-menus). It's an abominable UI pattern, and I wish it would be replaced by a simple command-entry interface, like Microsoft did with the Start menu. I mean, how many people actually use the "menu" part of the Start menu in Windows 7? I bet the vast majority of users just use the Quick Search box.

Now that I have this out of my system, you can probably understand why the screenshot of Dropbox Shell Tools is not from my own system; the last thing I need it another context menu entry.

However, the tool itself does seem very useful. It's originally German, and the English version was created in response to interest from GadgetHubs. That means documentation is a bit on the thin side (read: "does not exist"). But the menu entries seem rather self-explanatory. You can click on any file on your system, and immediately transport it onto your Dropbox public folder, or onto a specific subfolder within your Dropbox. If you use Explorer (rather than Total Commander) that should save you a few clicks.

Know of a quicker way to put stuff in your Dropbox? Tell me in the comments!

Dropbox Shell Tools lets you copy files quickly to your Dropbox originally appeared on Download Squad on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment