Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Community mismanagement 101: TheSixtyOne alienates top users

Filed under: ,


So, music site TheSixtyOne underwent a massive redesign. Old news, right? I was thrilled, others less so.

Those disgruntled souls left plenty of comments sharing their feelings, and one of them was kind enough to set me up with a few of TheSixtyOne's top users. These are people who have been with the site for a year or two, day in, day out, and accumulated gazillions of "points". Amongst them is the top user on the site, SallySilvera, level 24 with over 130,000 rep points (that's a lot). We're talking rabid loyalty here.

They all had a lot to say. I listened. Lengthy email rants elaborated on how they've lost their friends; how the sense of community is gone; how much harder it is to communicate with artists, and so on and so forth. The point is that these loyal users had actual reasons, and a lot of pent up emotions.

I also emailed TheSixtyOne developers asking if they'd like to tell me anything. While waiting for their reply (which never came), I sat back and watched how things unfold. I wanted to give them a chance, to see how they'd manage this massive PR flop. I followed their Twitter and saw they posted a handful of replies to unhappy users. "That's nice," I thought, "they're starting to take responsibility".

Well, imagine my surprise upon...

Continue reading Community mismanagement 101: TheSixtyOne alienates top users

Community mismanagement 101: TheSixtyOne alienates top users originally appeared on Download Squad on Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment