Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Create System Restore points in Windows 7 and Vista with two clicks

Filed under: ,

One thing I often forget to do before installing a program I want to test or fiddling with my drivers is creating a System Restore point. System Restore has been part of Windows for ages now, but I still have trouble remembering 1) it's there and 2) sometimes it's pretty handy.

To make it easier on myself, I set up a dead-simple restore point creator. Those of you who don't want to bother with the DIY route can download Quick Restore Maker from The Windows Club. Download the app, double click the icon, and you've got yourself a fresh restore point!

The manual method isn't all that complicated. All it takes is creating a new text file, changing the extension to .vbs and pasting the following code in via notepad (or your favorite text editor):
'use WMI moniker and SystemRestore class
set SRP = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")
CSRP = SRP.createrestorepoint ("My New Restore Point", 0, 100)
Now that it's this simple to do, I really have no excuse for not playing it safe. Though I probably ought to pin this to my taskbar so it's nice and obvious...

Create System Restore points in Windows 7 and Vista with two clicks originally appeared on Download Squad on Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:13:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment