Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Windows Mobile tools for commuters and travelers - Mobile Minute

Filed under: , , , , , , ,

Back when I was a full time commuter (spending almost as much time on the train every day as I did in the office), I spent a lot of time and energy converting my Windows Mobile PDA from a simple productivity tool into a one-stop entertainment shop. While you could buy a fancy phone that will be obsolete in a year and sign up for an expensive data plan so that you can watch the occasional YouTube clip, my weapon of choice was the off-line media viewer.

My commute is now much shorter, but every time I go away for the weekend or take a vacation I'm glad I spent so much time tracking down these tools.

AvantGoNews/eBook readers

During the early years of Windows CE, AvantGo was the undisputed champion of mobile web browsing software. The service allowed you to save mobile versions of selected web pages to your device's memory and catch up on news from The New York Times, CNet, and hundreds of other sources on the go. Every time you sync your device, your subscriptions are updated.

But the software hasn't been updated in years, and for many users it has become obsolete. While offering up hundreds of websites was sufficient a few years ago, today AvantGo's offerings seem terribly limited.

Continue reading Windows Mobile tools for commuters and travelers - Mobile Minute

Windows Mobile tools for commuters and travelers - Mobile Minute originally appeared on Download Squad on Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment